Can You Eat Raw Mushrooms?

Raw mushrooms
Raw mushrooms

Is it safe to eat raw mushrooms? Are they good for health?

We tell you everything in this article!

Raw mushrooms
Raw mushrooms

Is It Safe To Eat Raw Mushrooms?

It depends ! To clarify things, we will define the consumption of raw mushrooms according to two categories:

  1. Raw edible mushrooms: mushrooms such as porcini or chanterelles can potentially be eaten raw.
  2. Raw inedible mushrooms*: certain mushrooms, such as morels, contain a toxin, which can only be eliminated after cooking.

However, it is not that simple, because mushrooms of the first category can carry germs that can be eliminated only after cooking. Thus, you should also cook them.

*: here, “raw inedible” means “not edible when raw, but edible when cooked”

Do you want to know where the main edible mushrooms are found? Explore our Mushroom Maps here!

Which Mushroom Can Be Eaten Raw?

Based on the above point, you should come to the conclusion that all edible mushrooms should be cooked! Either to eliminate heat-labile toxins or to eliminate germs.

However, there are exceptions! The exceptions will concern cultivated mushrooms without heat-labile toxins! Indeed, you can potentially consume these mushrooms raw, because they grow in environments known to be sanitized.

However, and to add a final layer of complexity, it is necessary to be able to take into account the intermediate time between the production and the final consumption of the mushroom. This time can expose your mushroom to germ growth and make it risky raw.

What Is The Danger With Raw Mushrooms?

If you read with interest what we said just before, then you should have understood that there are 2 big dangers:

  • Danger 1: your mushroom has a heat-labile toxin which, if not destroyed during cooking, will have an impact on your health. In the case of morels, hemolysin will destroy your red blood cells or even cause kidney failure in the most severe cases.
  • Danger 2: your mushroom does not have a heat-labile toxin, but may contain germs. These germs, not being destroyed because of the lack of cooking, can lead, for example, to digestive problems such as diarrhea and vomiting.

What Can You Conclude?

As you will have understood, even if it is tempting to eat your mushroom raw, whatever it is, we recommend that you always cook it to limit the risk of poisoning.

Find Mushrooms With Our Maps!

Do you want to know where the main edible mushrooms are found? Explore our Mushroom Maps here!

Partager l'article

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.